SCHOOL TRANSPORT SYSTEM FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES- MOMBASA COUNTY
The School Transport System for Children with Disabilities (STRIDE) is a County Government of Mombasa project under the Department of Education and ICT and implemented with the technical support of UNICEF.
The development of this Programme was informed by the Mombasa County Social Protection Strategy 2017, which highlighted the key intervention areas for social protection programmes within the County.
The design of the STRIDE programme builds on three programme pillars:
- a school transport system for children with disabilities;
- an unconditional cash transfer aimed at providing financial support to households with children with disabilities for school-related expenses and
- the strengthening of capacity for government implementers to support the implementation of the programme and to advocate for the increase in capacity of Education, Assessment and Resource Centres (EARCs) in the County for the fulfilment of their mandate.
The programme envisaged situations where the programme pillars and activities could be implemented independently of each other but emphasizes that synergies created from their implementation together will set a foundation for future social protection programming for children and learners with disabilities in the County. The approach is also an opportunity to assist the County Government of Mombasa in further strengthening its social protection response, closing the gaps in programming in its life-cycle approach, creating linkages between departments, and developing the capacity for programme scale-up.
The overarching goal of the STRIDE programme is to improve school enrolment for children with disabilities in Mombasa County through the three programme pillars. In line with the goal of the programme, the specific programme objectives are:
- Develop a safe and efficient school transport system for children with disabilities in the County.
- Provide financial support to households with children with disabilities for school-related costs.
- Strengthen the capacity of CGM staff for the implementation of the programme and build capacity for future scale-up.
- Advocate for the increase in EARC capacity in the County for the fulfilment of their mandate.
- Create civic engagement concerning children’s rights with disabilities to education and breaking stereotypes on the stigmatization of children with disabilities.